Monday, April 12, 2010

Mistaken Identity

It's funny how you can hear a word and you think it's something different isn't it.

I have a follower named Casper. I call him Uncle Casper. He's not my real uncle, not like Uncle Malcolm, but I think it's polite for a 9 nine month old, yes, I'm nine months old now and didn't have a party, to call old people Uncle and Auntie, don't you?

Well, for ages I thought Casper was a brand name. My dad would talk about "Casper, my old drinking buggy.

"When I lived in India and sold guns for a living, I had a drinking buggy called Casper." he would say. And when you see the state my dad gets in when he's been drinking it's easy to see how I made the mistake. I thought he had a big buggy like my little one, and someone would push him home when his legs got all wobbly.

Now I know that Casper is a drinking buddy and buddy is another name for friend.
Anyway, drinking buggies are a great idea I think. It must be easy to make a simple push along one. But then that would only be any good if your drinking buddy didn't drink. Then he wouldn't be your drinking buddy. He'd be a waiter.

Then you'd have to be careful not to do what Casper did when he was drinking with my dad in India.

Apparently, he broke the golden rule of gun runners; "Don't take your product on a session." He was showing someone how good the gun was, when he was drinking with my dad, and shot a waiter.

Dad said "It was a tragedy." He couldn't go to that pub anymore and it was his favourite one.
Casper then opened his own pub but couldn't get any waiters to work for him. Only my dad and his other friend James fox, ever went there so it didn't really matter.

DON'T MAKE MY MUM MAD.

I've got the best mum in the whole world. but no one is perfect.

She speaks more English that my dad speaks Thai so they usually speak English. Except when she gets mad. Then she speaks Isaan. It's a good thing my dad doesn't speak much Isaan. It would make him very sad to know what mum says to him when she gets mad. She calls him stupid "Buffalo" which he does understand. It is a very bad thing to call anyone in Thailand.;"Kwai" and you only ever say that when you are very mad indeed.

I know a lot of swear words which is surprising for a nine month old. I like English swear words best. They sound really sweary, not like Thai or Isaan.

Dad says it's OK to swear if you're angry. In fact, you can't really be angry if you don't swear. But it is not good to swear if you're not. " Gary swears all the time which dad says "proves my point."

When my mum gets mad she chops things up with her big knife. I don't know the name for big choppy up knife in English. I don't think they have them in England. That;'s why they have so many swear words instead.

One time she got really mad with her brother and chased him with her big chopper knife shouting, "Come here kwai, I kill you." but he kept on running until my mum got out of breath, so she chopped up his motor bike instead.

It gets dead exciting in our house sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Hello India Francis Hope.
    I have tried to upload a photograph for you but am not having any luck.
    Anyway I have found out where you live but have not found your dads favourite pub.
    I have stopped shooting waiters now!!
    Looking forward to your next instalment.
    Love,
    Uncle Casper

    ReplyDelete